Frequently asked questions



After completing an ROP course, will I get a job?

ROP's goal is to place each student in a workplace situation. Many students do get jobs after completing ROP courses, but job placement is not guaranteed. The number of jobs available in each industry varies due to workforce trends and the economic conditions affecting local employers. All ROP courses have links to industry partners and students who demonstrate energy and initiative are often noticed for potential employment. In some industry sectors, ROP offers cooperative vocational education courses (known as co-op classes) in which students participate in paid or unpaid work placements and related classroom instruction. These classes provide work-based learning opportunities and students perform actual work in the community throughout the duration of the class.


Is there a fee for taking ROP courses?

ROP courses are funded by the Sonoma County Office of Education and are free to high school students. In some cases, there may be a charge for materials or students may be asked to purchase specialized tools or clothing. When and how often do ROP classes meet? All ROP classes are scheduled during the school day (except for one offering of the Cisco Networking Academy, which meets after school hours). Courses last for a full school year, beginning in the fall and concluding in June. For the meeting schedule of a specific course, contact your school counselor or the Career Development/ROP office, (707) 524-2720.


Are ROP courses open to adults?

Although ROP courses in some counties are open to adults, the courses offered in Sonoma County are not. Enrollment is limited to students in local high schools. The Career Development/ROP office can direct adult learners to appropriate sites for other types of job training programs. Please call (707) 524-2720 for further information. Does ROP issue certificates for completing courses? Most ROP classes provide certificates that describe the skills and competencies that students have acquired through class participation. These are issued by the ROP teacher upon course completion. In addition, many ROP programs issue certificates that are recognized by industry and indicate that students have met specific industry standards. An example is the ServSafe certification, which is widely recognized in the restaurant and food service industry. ROP culinary arts students may obtain ServSafe certification, giving them a recognizable asset in applying for jobs. Please call the Career Development/ROP office at (707) 524-2720 for a complete list of certificate offerings.


Does ROP offer work experience credit?

ROP does not offer work experience credit. Instead of work experience, ROP offers cooperative vocational education courses (known as co-op classes) in specific industries. Co-op classes allow students to be employed, earn compensation, and get high school credit. These classes have a mandatory class meeting each week and employers commit to support co-op students through periodic evaluations of their work performance. Can I take an ROP class at a high school I'm not currently attending? In most cases, students are able to enroll in ROP courses at other high schools. Each request for inter-school enrollment is carefully reviewed and granted based on the merits of the individual request. Students are interviewed, transportation is discussed (ROP does not offer transportation), and patterns of behavior and attendance are reviewed. The primary consideration in approving inter-school enrollments is to create a successful and meaningful learning experience for the student.


Should I take ROP courses if I'm thinking of going to college?

Absolutely! For most students, taking an ROP course is about exploring interests and possibilities. Each student who completes an ROP course will have a résumé, learn job interview skills, and gain a clear understanding of the additional education required for entry into the career area being explored. Students can obtain some types of entry-level jobs after completing high school ROP courses, while other positions require additional education and training at a community college, four-year college/university, or specialized trade school.


Who can become an ROP teacher?

ROP teaching is a rewarding career. Almost all ROP teachers have significant work experience in the industry they're teaching and enjoy the opportunity to prepare young people for future career possibilities. ROP teachers must be licensed through the State of California, which means they must obtain a vocational designated services credential. Vocational credential holders do not have to be college graduates, but they must meet specific qualifications and be able to demonstrate expertise in their industry. Information about credential requirements is available by calling the Career Development/ROP office at (707) 524-2720 or contacting the California Commission for Teacher Credentialing, www.ctc.ca.gov.


What if I have more questions?

If you have a question that's not listed here, please direct it to the Career Development/ROP staff at (707) 524-2720. We're happy to help you! If you are a high school student, your counselor may also be able to answer many of the questions you have.





Syndicate content



Who's online

There are currently 0 users and 1 guest online.

Recent blog posts